Szczekociny is a town on the Pilica river, in Silesian Voivodeship, Poland, with 4,115 inhabitants (2004). The Battle of Szczekociny was fought near the town on June 6, 1794 during the Kościuszko Uprising. Even though Szczekociny administratively belongs to Silesian Voivodeship, it is part of historic province of Lesser Poland. It was granted town rights in 1398, and lost them in 1870, on the decision of Russian authorities. Szczekociny once again became a town on Jan. 1, 1923. Since its foundation until 1795, Szczekociny belonged to Kraków Voivodeship. In the Second Polish Republic, it was part of Kielce Voivodeship, and since 1999, it has belonged to Silesian Voivodeship, despite the fact that it had never been part of Silesia.